My faith

I'm a Mormon.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Here we go again.


If you have followed my blog for a while, you might remember when I was about to lose my mind from lack of sleep with DD2.

Well, we're there again. This time with my darling 7 month old, DD3. As I type, she is in her bed screaming. Because I am about to lose my mind.

It is getting pretty bad. I taught a lesson in church yesterday, and although I'm relieved to have made it through the lesson, I was so exhausted that during the discussion I could hardly pay attention. Did I mention that I was giving the lesson? Don't tell anyone, but during parts of the discussion I was totally zoned out. I tried so hard to focus, and just couldn't. At the beginning of the lesson, I even sang in a trio. I started each verse on the wrong note and messed up the words.

My brain is not functioning too well. My head is constantly hurting. My body is physically exhausted.

So she is "crying it out." Call me what you will. Heartless, abusive (yes I have heard those analogies lately describing the kind of parent I have become.) But something's got to give.

I think she'll be ok.

5 comments:

Jewls said...

Oh my gosh. You are NOT heartless OR abusive. I think it's good for them to cry it out as long as they're in a safe place. She'll be fine!!

And you NEED sleep to be a good mom!

Heidi said...

She'll DEFINITELY be ok. You're teaching her to sleep and cope by herself. That's a GOOD mommy move.

Dani said...

We've done cry outs with each kid and are in the process with DD3. I feel like I'm loosing my mind and I'm exhausted, and you are right something has got to give, and they WILL BE ALRIGHT!

The Byrd Family said...

Something that helps me feel better when I'm laying in bed listening to them scream is the thought that falling asleep is a skill that they need to learn at some point, and it's easier learned as a baby. All of us wake up several times during the night naturally, but we've learned to fall back asleep by ourselves. They need to learn that, too, in order to get the sleep they need to be healthy and have the mental and physical energy to learn and do all that they need to and want to.

Anyway, that just helps me :)

Good luck! Hopefully she's a quick learner!

Becky said...

That's so hard. I have read articles lately saying how crying it out isn't good for babies--and I am a bit guilty and tell myself I won't do it with future babies. BUT, as I type this comment, my almost two year old is screaming in protest of his nap (he usually naps well but our schedule was off today). And really, when you are too sleep deprived to function, then I think crying it out is the safest thing. It's much better than injuries happening from being too tired to parent, or going crazy as a parent (sometimes I think I've already done that! :) Hang in there and I hope it improves soon!