My faith

I'm a Mormon.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Bigotry

I have been quite perplexed the last few days in reading the response of the gay community to the passing of Proposition 8. Honestly, it is difficult to see your church, the center of your belief, come under attack. I was feeling very angry at people who, to me, seemed to act in the way they were accusing the entire LDS church of acting. I felt like arguing. I felt like leaving mean comments on blogs defending myself and my religion, as well as my values. I also felt a small worry that somehow these people would undermine the work of the church in helping Heavenly Father's work progress.

Then I remembered something said by Joseph Smith, and all my fears were washed away.
"The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny(a false and malicious statement designed to injure the reputation of someone or something) may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done."

With that, and remembering that the Savior commanded us to love our enemies, I am no longer feeling bitter towards people who would falsely accuse me of bigotry just because I want to preserve my freedom of religion. There are a million arguments to counter each argument made by the people who are upset over the passage of this amendment. But I don't need to sit and come up with brilliant arguments. There is work to do. There are people hurting, hungry, cold, in need of a friend. I can spend my time and energy helping instead of hurting others.

I also started to think "why don't we just let them do what they want?" Then I read this interview with Elder Oakes. I highly recommend it.

A recent BYU forum by a Princeton professor also sheds light on the issue.

So anyway, I am not bigoted. I am trying to love everyone. I'm not perfect. I get angry sometimes. But I will continue to stand up for what I believe. That doesn't make me a bigot, that means I have integrity.

No comments: