My faith

I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Try again

So, I have been reading a book that I recommend so far. It is called "The Cheapest Family on the Block". I'm learning a lot about how to be frugal. As Stuart is in his last year, and I'm going to try pulling of staying home full time, we need to save every penny. I wish we had been more frugal up to this point, but it's not like we spend everything we have, there just always seem to be demands, such as registering a car, new brakes and tires, utilities, health care, etc...

I have a few goals now that I am rededicated to being frugal:
1. Plan meals and go shopping only 2 times a month
2. Use only 1 tank of gas a month. Sorry, honey, that means walking to school.
3. Be content with what I have. I really don't need new clothes, or a digital camcorder, although those things would be nice.
4. Pay off debts. We don't really have much, just my small student loan, but I'd have more peace of mind knowing it was paid off.
5. Retire at 50. Ha ha! That's a long shot, but that really is our joint goal, because we'd like to serve lots of missions.


I have many more goals than that, but mostly I want to concentrate on the first 4.
I'll try to post weekly meal plans along with categoried shopping lists. Also, I'll share any good deals I find in ads or coupons. Feel free to post any ideas... :)

3 comments:

Rob and Tami Stewart said...

Those are some great goals! Looks like I can learn some useful things from your sight. I can't think of anything to put on right now...I could use the help! I'm home full time with Jacob as well, and it can be tough to survive financially. I'll check back here often, and leave any ideas I come up with.

Lisa Marie said...

#5 is not out of the question. That was my Dad's goal forever and every year he would sit down and put that on his goal list and when he was 49 someone offered to buy his business off of him and so he retired. A year ahead of schedule. And now he's on a mission with my Mom in Taiwan! If you want it bad enough you can have it.

Molly said...

Do you have a baby food maker? Or just a regular old food processor? My mom saved a lot of money buy making baby food from the food she'd already made for the rest of the family. It's a good way to make sure you eat healthy, too, because you wouldn't make something you can't give to your baby.