My faith

I'm a Mormon.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Homemade Cream of Wheat



I really love Cream of Wheat, but it is SO EXPENSIVE! I was shocked when I went to buy a box the other day and found out it cost almost $6 for a tiny box. Sob. So I decided to try my hand at making my own, and it turned out REALLY yummy. It is much creamier and "wheaty" tasting than normal Cream of Wheat, but it was fantastic. I think I am going to try making Cream of Rice next. Here is my recipe:

2 cups water
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups coarsely ground wheat

(I have a Nutrimill grinder and I put it on the low and coarse settings. You want it to be the coarsest you can get it-- but not as coarse as cracked wheat. I think you could do it in the blender, you'd just have to let it blend till it got the right consistency. )

Bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Turn down the heat (or turn it all the way off) and slowly add the wheat while stirring constantly. If you got to fast or don't stir enough you get clumps-- ick. It thickens pretty fast, and then you just stir it until the desired consistency.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It had been 10 years since I last ate my mother´s cream of wheat and I suddenly craved it tonight. Thanks for posting the recipe.

My Spanish husband tried it for the first time and "thinks it's o.k.". He also said it kinda tastes like pancakes.

I made it in a Thermomix... a machine that grinds my wheat, and also serves as a blender, mixer, and even cooks the food. It took me 6 minutes to make half a recipe in the machine. Amazing and delicious.
Love the blog.