My faith

I'm a Mormon.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Things to read Thursday #2

It's been a long long time!

Here are my book picks for this week, along with activities:
Theme: Butterflies

Picture Book: Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly by Jane O'connor, illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser
Maybe not the best pick if you haven't got a little girl.
Ideas:
1. Create your own butterfly ballet
2. Butterfly art
3. Visit a butterfly garden
4. Have abutterfly party and have your little one write or illustrate the invites.
5. If you're into printables.

My three-year-old got really into reading about butterflies after Bonjour Butterfly, so we checked out a bunch of non-fiction butterfly books from the library. This one was our favorite, due to the rhyming, simple concepts, and fun pictures.
Non-fiction My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
1. Go on a butterfly scavenger hunt.
2. Go on a nature walk and use a stick as a probicus to "sip" nectar from flower.
3. Leave a comment with an idea you did!

If you have older kids who like to experiment try this book: Pets in a Jar by Seymour Simon


Check out this list of butterfly picture books!

5-6 weeks until my baby comes, still limited computer access. Hopefully I can post more regularly!

No comments: